Friday, December 14, 2012

Friday Fave: Christmas Memories

Last week a sweet friend/co-worker invited me to attend her church's Christmas Ladies Luncheon. It was a truly beautiful event. The theme was "Christmas Memories" and the accompanying Bible verse was I thank my God every time I remember you. - Phil. 1:3. Table hostesses decorated their tables using items they remembered from Christmases past. One lady created a beautiful centerpiece using vintage blown-glass ornaments. Another's table was adorned with a rustic log cabin, and another was filled with department-store teddy bears. Our hostess shared with us some special candies that her mother only purchased for the family at Christmas time.

We all enjoyed the lunch, had fun swapping Christmas stories with others, were inspired by the lovely music, and appreciated the speaker sharing her stories of what she remembers from Christmases in her life. I couldn't help but think back fondly on the many, many, many happy memories of Christmas I have as well. A couple of years ago I highlighted a few. They're certainly fun to go back and read again. (Santa Claus, Excited Kids, Christmas Bears, World Championship) I also think about the Christmas breaks from school that were snow-filled and my brother and sister and I would build sledding trails on the hill across from our house. I think about how the three of us would secretly plan out a perfect gift for our parents. I remember being a little kid and opening presents with my cousins at my Grandma's house and the living room being so covered in wrapping paper that the littlest cousins were actually buried in discarded paper. Of course, Christmas memories aren't reserved exclusively for childhood; since Dan and I have been married, we've made several great Christmas memories together too. I'll never forget four years ago when we surprised both families with the news we were expecting a baby. Or our first year with Lana, and every Christmas since.

All of these memories are a sweet gift, and I know there will be many more in our future.

No comments: