Monday, October 1, 2012

Heartbreak, Cougs, and Fatherly Advice

In honor of my Dad's birthday, I thought I'd share a story.

I moved to Pullman and stated working at Washington State University a little over 10 years ago. I was excited for the move and the new opportunities that would become available. My dad was also excited and happy for the move. He willingly helped me load up my things in the horse trailer and even drove them to my new apartment. But before he left, he pulled me aside. He said he wanted to talk to me, and by the tone of his voice, I could tell it was serious.

Here is a transcript of our conversation:

Dad: So, here you are in Pullman.

Me: Yup.
(Thinking: Yup. And......?)

Dad: While you're here, you're probably going to meet a guy.

Me: Um, well, I guess. Maybe?
(Thinking: Awkward! Aren't I a little old for this talk? Where was this talk when I left for college five years ago?)

Dad: And that guy will probably want to take you to Cougar football games.

Me: Um, okay.
(Thinking: This conversation is taking a very odd turn.)

Dad: And you should go to those games. You should enjoy them and cheer for the Cougs.

Me: Um, okay.
(Thinking: Um, okay?)

Dad: But don't you fall in love with the Cougars, Shelle. Don't you do it.

Me: What?
(Thinking: WHAT?!?!)

Dad: I mean it Shel. Don't do it. They will break your heart every time. Every. Single. Time. Don't do it. Don't you fall in love with the Cougars.


Well, I have to report that ten years later, I still clearly remember and laugh over than conversation and the truths therein. I do enjoy watching and following the Cougs, but I have yet to allow them to leave me heartbroken. When they lose ugly, when they have a punch-you-in-the-gut demoralizing loss, or even when they have a loss that gets counted as a "moral victory," I don't get too upset. I do enjoy the victories as much as any fan, but don't tie my happiness and overall well-being to the performance of the WSU Cougars.

Happy Birthday Dad! Thanks for the wise advice that is just as applicable then as it is now.

And see? Sometimes I do actually listen to what you tell me.

1 comment:

AngMomof3 said...

Ha ha! That's so funny. Your dad is so wise.