Friday, March 30, 2012

Friday Fave: Easter Candy

When all the holidays are broken down and examined, it's clear that Easter is superior in the area of candy. It doesn't have the quantity of other holidays (Halloween anyone?) but far surpasses the others in quality. In fact, I often say that the candy is my second favorite thing about Easter.

Think about it, Easter is the original holiday that gave us Peeps. Oooey, gooey, sugary Peeps. I know, I know, Peeps are now available for multiple holidays, but as a Peeps purist, I only buy and enjoy them around Easter, as was intended.

Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs are just delightful. I don't know how they do it, but by making the original Reese's Peanut Butter Cup into an egg-shaped treat, Reese's actually created something tastier than the original.

Cadbury Mini Eggs are AH-MAY-ZING. I have yet to meet a single person who doesn't love these easy-to-pop-in-your-mouth candies. If I had to choose a favorite treat in the realm of my second-favorite-thing about Easter, this would be it.

And then there is this, the classic Cadbury Creme Egg. It truly is a coveted treasure and only comes around once per year. The chocolate egg shell harkens back to it's English roots, and the yellow and white creamy goodness is second to none.
I've heard some fans of the Cadbury Creme Egg purchase cases of the delicacy in the spring to eat throughout the whole year.

The candy is indeed my second favorite thing about Easter. 
Here's the first:
Jesus Christ, living a perfect life, dying a horrific death, and rising in a miraculous, eternity-changing way will forever be far more important to me than all the Cadbury Mini Eggs I could eat. He thought of me and bore all my sins as he was tortured on the cross. It was my wrongdoings that led to Him being whipped and beaten. It was my pain and rejection he felt as the blood dripped from His body. And it was yours too.

When Jesus Christ died and rose again on that glorious Sunday, and God's plan was complete, it was me who was saved. It was me who's sins were forgiven and forgotten. It was me who was gifted eternal life. And it can be you too.

And that, is my FIRST favorite thing about Easter.

(If you want to talk more about this, or correct my grammar and/or spelling, we should get together. I'll bring my Bible and one for you too, if you want. Oh, you can go ahead and bring some Easter treats with you. We might as well enjoy the second as we discuss the first.)

1 comment:

Leslie OConnell said...

Peeps!! My favorite candy ever!! :) However like you, I only eat peeps at Easter and they have to be the yellow "birds" you have posted. Others will not do :)