Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thankful Thursday: Days 1-8

In the month of November it has become popular on blogs and Facebook to post daily about something specific you are thankful for. It has been pretty neat to read about the things my friends are thankful for, and I thought it would be fun to do it myself.

Then I remembered I only post to Facebook once or twice per week and I feel like I'm imposing on other people's time and good nature if I post more often than that. I also remembered that I can't blog daily either. However, I can blog weekly, so every Thursday in November, I'll post a "recap of Thankfulness." Starting now.

November 1:
I am thankful for easy access to a variety of foods. I went to the Rosaures baking sale today and stocked up on baking basics. While I was surrounded by walls and walls of affordable, safe foods, I realized world-wide this is the exception, not the rule.

November 2:
I am thankful for a freezer full of home-raised beef, a garden that produced lovely vegetables, and the crock-pot that simmered all day to bring us delicious beef stew for our dinner.

November 3:
I am thankful for my body that moves without pain and does what it is supposed to do. I went running this morning and I was thankful to be able to move my arms up and down, stand up straight and tall, and consistently put one foot in front of the other.

November 4:
I am thankful for the opportunities I have every day to serve others. This evening a group of friends and I served pizza and soda at a large event for area youth. We stayed a few minutes extra to put away the tables and chairs. At the time, the service we performed seemed easy and a bit mundane, but because we served, the adults directly involved with the youth could spend some quality time with the kids, having deep and important conversations, and ultimately helping one teenager to forever change their life. I am thankful for opportunities such as these that show me no act of service is too small or too unimportant.

November 5:
I am thankful for sweet and insightful conversations with my daughter.
Lana: Mommy, we have to be HONEST.
Me: Yes, sweetie, we do need to be honest.
Lana: And that means we don't show our panties or our bum.
Me: That's MODEST. M-M-Modest means we don't show our panties or our bum. Honest means we tell the truth always.
Lana: Yeah, we need to be honest and not show our panties or our bum and we need to tell the truth.
(Smart girl, that Lana Jean. Yup sweetie, we do need to be honest and modest.)

November 6:
I am thankful for how hard and tirelessly my husband works. Dan got home late tonight because he worked at the Cougar men's basketball game, after he had already worked 10+ hours at his regular job. He doesn't always like it, but works so hard every day to take care of his family. I am inspired by his commitment and sacrifice every day and am so thankful for him.

November 7:
I am thankful for life-saving vaccines. Lana got her flu shot today (I got mine last week) and I am so amazed at the power of a vaccine. When I think that even a generation ago, suffering from polio, smallpox, or any other practically-eradicated disease was a very real possibility, I can't help but be thankful. Oh, and if you're in Washington, remember that we're in the middle of a state-wide whooping cough epidemic. Here's a not-so-subtle reminder to make sure your vaccinations are up-to-date.

November 8:
I am thankful for good friends. I'm spending the weekend in Seattle with a group of wonderful ladies. I am so thankful each of them has chosen to extend their friendship to me. I have learned so much from this delightful group and just know we will have the best time together!

(Come back next week for 9-15.)

No comments: