Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday Fave: Podcasts

For Mother's Day last year, Lana (with Dan's help) surprised me with a shiny new iPod Nano. It's small, light-weight, and holds all the music I'm ever gonna need. While perusing the iTunes store for new music, I discovered free podcasts and quickly got hooked. Here are some of my favorites:

Manic Mommies
These gals crack me up. Based on the east coast, Erin and Kristen share stories of their lives as working moms. They're honest, even when it's not pretty or funny - but most of the time it is pretty dang funny. It took me a few episodes to keep these two ladies straight and remember who's married to who and has what children, so it can be a bit confusing at first. However, once I got that all figured out, I have been thoroughly enjoying the Manic Mommies. They usually post one hour-long episode per week. I like to listen when I'm weighing flour samples at work for hours on end.

Run Like a Mother
Admittedly, I am not a runner. I am a plodder and an ugly jogger, but most certainly not a runner. I listen to these ladies (Dimity and Sarah) and I feel like I could truly make a plan and train to complete a marathon. They offer encouragement for runners (or slow plodders) of every stage and you really feel like you're listening to two friends who just want you to get out there and be active. They post about one 30-minute episode per week. I really like to sandwich an episode in between two fast and upbeat songs to accompany me on my Sunday morning run.

The Dave Ramsey Show
Dave was my first podcast find and he's still a favorite. Straight forward and easy to understand financial talk. He takes callers' questions on-air and offers answers and advice to help solve whatever financial mess they're in. I always learn something when I listen to Dave Ramsey. When I need a little bit of extra motivation to tighten the budget or a kick in the pants to keep on saving for the large purchase, Dave is there for me. There is one new episode(about 35 minutes) available 5 days per week. I usually listen when I'm making dinner in the evenings.

So, those are my favorites, but I definitely need more. I guess I'm getting old and often times prefer podcasts to music. What podcasts do you like to listen to? Any you would recommend for me to try?

Thanks in advance!

1 comment:

kristylundholm said...

Ian suggests Multivariable Calculus by MIT opencourseware!