Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Palouse River Duathlon

Last year I competed in the Palouse River Duathlon 11 weeks pregnant with sweet Nora. She was my running partner and biking buddy and I was so proud of myself for getting through the race. This year, however, it was quite freeing to run "alone" and let someone else take care of the baby for a few hours. (Plus, I think Nora is quite a bit cuter outside the womb, don't you?)

I was also thrilled to be participating with my awesome sisters-in-law, Angela and Lyndsey. Angela has done this race before and is an old pro, but this was Lyndsey's first time. She agreed that the hills are crazy-tough! (We live on the Palouse, we don't joke about the hills.) Having these two for extra encouragement was sure awesome.

For a Saturday morning in June, it was COLD! (Don't we all look frozen? Why I didn't grab a long-sleeved shirt, I don't know.) I think it was a whopping 42 degrees at the beginning of the race and it rained off and on the entire time. After the first running leg, I didn't feel shivering-cold anymore, but was never very comfortable.

I spent more time this year working on biking up steep gravel hills than I did working on running, so imagine my surprise when I discovered my running time was considerably faster than last year's, and my biking time was about the same. Overall, I was 5 minutes faster than last year. Let's see if I can improve another 5 minutes next year. 
Sometime during the biking leg of the race I got splashed with grease or oil or something and had a very attractive black streak on the right side of my neck and jawline. It makes me look tough, doesn't it? I'm sure all the other competitors were sooooo intimidated : )

Lana was my enthusiastic cheerleader and met me with hugs at the end of the race. Nora was hungry and met me with cries for food. Both were appreciated.

No comments: