Sunday, August 21, 2011

Lentil Festival, in words and (sorry, only a few) pictures.

This weekend was the National Lentil Festival in Pullman. Yes, the town dedicates a weekend-long celebration to this most versatile legume and I love it. (It was also recently pointed out to me how perfect a setting it would be for a Christopher Gest-type mockumentary. If you have Hollywood connections, let me know - my sis and I have a great plot outline already sketched out.)
Friday night I helped to set up the 4 booths our church ran and helped out in the children's booth. Remember for next year that we rent strollers for free for your kiddos with tired legs and give out free balloons and popcorn for all!
Of course we got our free cup on lentil chili (really pretty good stuff) and we sampled all the classic fair foods like deep fried twinkies and oreos. It was a fun evening for all.
 
(the lentil chili was made in this giant pot)

The next morning I ran in the Taste T. Lentil 5k Fun Run. It's a tough race, but I like to do it to see how much/if I've improved from the previous year. Despite being tired (up in the middle of the night with a 2-year old who threw up in her bed and needed to be bathed and changed) I improved my time. Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm still the slow, chubby girl, but now I'm at least a little less slow.

Of course we forgot to grab the camera for the 5k and the street festival, but I was sure to have it handy for the Grand Parade. Okay, so really, it's kind of a lame parade, but it gets an A for effort. Candy gets thrown, princesses wave, the boy scouts and helpful and the little kids are cute.
 


Our little kid thought it was pretty neat, especially once she got a balloon and a lollipop.
 

How was your weekend? Did you make it out to the Lentil Festival or do something equally cool and Americana-esqu?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: