Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Getting Caught Up: Welcome Baby Nora!

I started going into labor on Christmas night. (I think my body knew I really wanted to get through Christmas before having the baby, and just breathed a giant, baby-sized sigh of relief.) I got out of bed and paced, then went back to bed and tried to get comfortable. Contractions were sporadic and not all that painful. The next morning, they seemed to have calmed down, so I went to work. I worked all day, with the contractions slowly getting closer together and increasing in pain and intensity. I knew this baby was coming soon, I just didn't know how soon. I was also really grateful that most of my co-workers took a vacation day on the day after Christmas and didn't see me cussing under my breath when a contraction was particularly painful.

After work I picked up Lana and we went home, my contractions getting closer together and more painful on the drive home. Dan wasn't home yet, and while I waited for him, I set a timer. Yep, contractions were now five minutes apart and some were don't-talk-or-I'll-punch-you-in-the-face painful. It was time to get to the hospital. We dropped Lana off at Dan's brother's house for cousin time (I think she was more excited for that than getting a new baby) and we (finally) made it to the hospital. I'd called ahead and the nurses had my room all set up and ready. It's a good thing they did, because things progressed quickly and baby was out in near-record time.

We were pleased and proud to welcome Nora Johanna Lenssen to the world!

Big sister Lana was excited too.

Lana even "helped" the pediatrician give Nora a check-up.


Dan and I have been getting used to having two daughters. So far, it means someone always needs something, usually RIGHT NOW.

Oh, but look at this sweet face! Those pouty lips make me swoon.

And those piercing eyes make me wonder about what she could possibly be thinking.

Welcome to our family Nora! We can be an odd bunch, but we love you and embrace you always. We do lots of hugs and kisses and lots of "I love yous" and lots of snuggles and tickles. We forgive, laugh, and keep on trying. We love you so much and are so glad you're here!



No comments: