Tuesday, September 18, 2012

10 Questions: Runner's Edition

One of my favorite stops on the web is the Another Mother Runner site. The two gals who run the AMR empire recently wrote 10 answers to 10 running questions and challenged their readers to do the same. Here are my responses:

 1. Best run ever: Hmmmmm. I'm not sure if it's the best ever, but I just finished the Palouse Days 10K (my first EVER 10K). The course was tough, hot, and hilly, but beautiful and peaceful. I didn't have a stellar time, but I was proud that I challenged myself to do something I had never done before.

Toward the end of the race, I was thoroughly exhausted and ready to be done. I hadn't seen another runner for quite some time and was feeling a bit alone on the course. When the finish line came into sight, a woman I had never met ran up to me, smiling and offering encouragement. She ran the last 100 yards or so with me, and not in an I-have-pity-on-you-and-your-slowness kind of way, but more of a you-are-awesome-and-make-me-want-to-run-with-you kind of way.
(Finishing the 10K with my new Best Running Friend. (uh, I think her name is Darcy???) The Good Husband snapped this shot. Rather patriotic, don't you think?)

2. Three words that describe my running: Work. Important. Plodding.

3. My go-to running outfit is: My fear of jiggly legs keeps me away from shorts, so capris are a must for me. When it's cold I bundle up in warm-up pants (my daughter calls them swishy pants) or wear long running tights under my capris or yoga pants. Also, as I was flipping through photos to use in this post, I noticed I wear my purple dri-tech running top quite often. Here it is again from the Plaouse River Duathlon:
(Rockin' the purple top and capris - pretty much what I always run in.)

4. Quirky habit while running: I listen to a really odd mix on my iPod when I run. It's got music from Glee, Worship songs, country classics, modern pop, late '90s, and the occasional audiobook. I also am the most easily distracted runner I know. I'll try hard to focus on my third hill repeat, spot a squirrel crossing ahead of me and have a crazy stream of consciousnesses:
That squirrel sure has a big tail. Hey, I wonder, where do squirrels go in the winter? Trees? Underground? My garage? I hope they don't get in the garage. The garage really needs to be swept out and I need to tell Lana not to color with her chalk inside the garage because it doesn't wash away with the rain. Oh, I think my car is due for an oil change and when do we need to put the winter tires on? It's only September, I don't need winter tires until November. November Rain is a really great song. I need to download that when I get home and add it to my running playlist. Sweet, I'm at the top of the hill. I totally ran that one faster than the first two. Well, maybe, I'm not sure. Maybe I need to focus harder?

5. Morning, midday, evening: 1-2 days per week I get out during lunch time and run near my work. It's a very runner/pedestrian friendly campus and there are several great paths I can take depending on how much time I've got. My early morning Sunday runs are great. I try to get up before the rest of the family and spend a quiet morning on country roads. I've also recently started running on Wednesday evenings while my daughter is in a class. It's different, but I'm grateful for the time. If I had to choose a favorite, I'd pick morning.

6. I won’t run outside when it’s: Icy. I'm klutzy enough as it is, and adding ice will pretty much guarantee disaster. Hard rain and blinding snow are also great deterrents.

7. Worst injury—and how I got over it: It wasn't a true running injury, but last year when I went through bronchitis-bronchitis-pneumonia, my running came to a halt. It was a loooooong time before I could breathe pain-free and took weeks after I was healthy to build back my (already fairly lackluster) mileage. 

8. I felt most like a bad*** mother runner when: My daughter watches me run. Lana, my sweet little cheerleader, honestly believes I'm fast and that I win every race I run. She loves riding in the jogging stroller (she calls it the "fast stroller") and has certain points of a run where she'll ratchet up the encouragement. In her eyes I am strong and capable of greatness.
(This dear girl was a more welcome sight than a table of Gatorade at the end of the Palouse River Duathlon.)

9. Next race is: I haven't decided. Now that I've completed a 10K, I think I'd like to do another one before the snow flies.

10. Potential running goal for 2013: In May I'll do the Palouse River Duathlon again. I really like that race and family members compete in it too and it's awesome to have a ready-made support system already there. I'll check local race calendars for another 10K as well. If you've got a favorite local race, let me know and maybe I'll join you next year!

No comments: