Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Two years just flies by......

....when you're married to Dan.
Yup, can you believe it's been two years? It seems like only last week I was worried about flowers that were locked in the reception hall (they were, we just picked up new ones at the grocery store), worried about my hair not looking the way I wanted it to (it ended up looking way better than I expected), hoping I wouldn't cry when it was my turn to say wedding vows (my voice cracked a bit, but I kept it together), wondering if the food would be ready and delicious when guests arrived at the reception hall (it was fabulous and on-time because all my family worked so hard to make it so) and just full of all the typical wedding day jitters. It all turned out fine. We both said 'I do' when we were supposed to and just like that, we went from being two single people, to one married couple.
Now that we've been married for two years, I can honestly say I can't imagine my life being any different. Dan 'gets' me and my oddities and doesn't really question them, just accepts and loves. He knows I am quick to doubt myself and my abilities and he diffuses all my negative thoughts before they have a chance to take root. He's the first to tell me I'm a great wife and mother when I feel as if I'm failing the remedial course in both subjects. He's the one who washes, cuts and bags my carrots nearly every evening for my lunch the next day. He's the one who doesn't mind that the bed usually doesn't get made. He's the one I snuggle with and the one who tickles me until I think I'm going to cry.
Even though it's been two full years, I still feel like we're newlyweds. Dan is still the person I want to share a funny story with, or vent about my day too. He's still the one to validate my point of view. He's my biggest advocate and my number one fan, and I hope he knows I am the same for him.
I spent the three months of our engagement reading every marriage 'how-to' book I could find. I was certain that there had to be some magic secret to having a great marriage. I didn't find the answer in any book in the library. Instead, I've spent the last two years discovering it for myself. I won't claim to have all the answers, but for me, the very best answer is having Dan for a husband.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: